This week’s show is with Steve James. Steve travels internationally teaching somatic practices, meditation, as well as leading explorations in contemplative & relational realms. Known for his direct, grounded approach and his dedication to first-hand research, he has extensive experience in elite athletic performance, contemplative and spiritual disciplines, the arts, extreme outdoor survival, and human behaviour.
Steve’s unique range of experiences and understanding of human behaviour, high performance, spirituality, and interpersonal relationships is highly sought after by leading figures at the highest levels of the arts, entertainment, and business. In his private client practice he specialises in the unique interpersonal and strategic challenges faced by very successful and highly visible individuals. Ongoing clients include Oscar-winning actors, multi Grammy winning musicians, CEO’s, and fund managers.
Steve is the creator of the Movement Koan Method® and the host of the Guru Viking Podcast.
In this show, Steve and Lian spoke about what we might call descension and ascension, given Steve’s work with meditation and embodiment gives him an unusual level of experience of both.
We got into mysticism, immanence, paying attention to the mundane, Hedonic valence, using the body as a place to enquiry and more.
I’d love to know what YOU think about this week’s show. Let’s carry on the conversation… please leave a comment below.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Rather than rushing up and out to transcendence, Steve’s found his own tendency in immanence, which is the idea that God is everywhere and in everything. Finding beauty in mundane.
- The practice of spirituality as a dedication or as a benefit for everyone can be helpful, as the focus on how it benefits oneself can only motivate us so far
- We can use the body as the venue of exploration… I loved Steve’s example of a Movement Koan practice of balancing on one leg and then noticing different experiences that arise.
- “Intimacy is feeling what’s there to be felt” I love that.
Resources and stuff that we spoke about:
- Steve James Official Website: Guru Viking
- Join Steve James in the Movement Koan Method®
- Explore meditation and practice together online with Steve James at Guru Viking Meditation Club
Thank you for listening!
There’s fresh episode each week, if you subscribe then you’ll get each new episode delivered to your phone every Tuesday (that way you’ll never miss an episode):
Lian & Jonathan