This week’s show is with Steve James. Steve travels internationally teaching somatic practices, meditation, as well as leading explorations in contemplative & relational realms. Known for his direct, grounded approach and his dedication to first-hand research, he has extensive experience in elite athletic performance, contemplative and spiritual disciplines, the arts, extreme outdoor survival, and human behaviour.
Steve’s unique range of experiences and understanding of human behaviour, high performance, spirituality, and interpersonal relationships is highly sought after by leading figures at the highest levels of the arts, entertainment, and business. In his private client practice he specialises in the unique interpersonal and strategic challenges faced by very successful and highly visible individuals. Ongoing clients include Oscar-winning actors, multi Grammy winning musicians, CEO’s, and fund managers.
Steve is the creator of the Movement Koan Method® and the host of the Guru Viking Podcast.
In this show, Steve and Lian spoke about magic as a world view or a way of listening… en route they spoke about meditation, yoga siddhis, ceremonial magick, shamanism, and more.
I’d love to know what YOU think about this week’s show. Let’s carry on the conversation… please leave a comment below.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Because of the cultural shadow we have around magic, we believe it’s a sign of stupidity or naivety to believe in magic, when historically many of the most renowned thinkers, whose work we still revere hundreds of years later, were practitioners of magic
- When we “got science” we believed we’d moved beyond magic, but what if it’s magic is something that’s still deeply serving and is really a description of what we don’t know yet?
- Magic can be seen as a cheat code to push for things to happen, going around the back door, but when we’ve got something that way, how do we hold it when we’ve got it? And there’s also something much deeper available in magic… the Great Work, . And Steve suggested magic can be a “listening” beyond the known, a way of waking up, sobering up, a way of being in a relationship of wonder with the world.
- Practice relating to something beyond your own experience of a person or object… “Become the tree”
Resources and stuff that we spoke about:
- Steve James Official Website: Guru Viking
- Join Steve James in the Movement Koan Method®
- Explore meditation and practice together online with Steve James at Guru Viking Meditation Club
Thank you for listening!
There’s fresh episode each week, if you subscribe then you’ll get each new episode delivered to your phone every Tuesday (that way you’ll never miss an episode):
Lian & Jonathan