This week’s show is with Dave Burns who is a coach, angel investor, and essayist. With a background in relational work, partnered meditation, mindful business training and classical philosophy, his work today centres around the interplay between ancient wisdom and modern practicality. A very happy husband, he lives in Costa Rica with his wife, in a small town where the jungle meets the sea.
In this show we spoke about the hidden energies of financial exchange, Dave dived deep into sooo many money questions such as: why is it so challenging to charge money for a service-based business? Why does it seem so easy to make money after a certain point? Why is it that I have so much trouble saving? Why does it vanish? How do I cultivate consistent habits without being controlling, restrictive, self-abusive?
Ultimately, this episode did an incredible job of illuminating the money landscape so we can choose to cultivate a conscious relationship with it.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Money is a store of human life because life is scarce – taking life force is usually described as consuming or eating therefore taking someone’s money is like cannibalism
- Of course we will have resistance to eating and being eaten by other humans so it’s no wonder we can have so much resistance around money!
- Indigenous cultures have a conscious and sacred relationship of the thing they’re consuming – we can begin to create a similar relationship by giving thanks and praise to the things you’re eating and the lives that brought it to you
- Receiving a lot of money can feel uncomfortable and greedy when we aren’t bringing the reverence and consciousness to it
- I love Dave’s suggestion of creating an alternative to the loving kindness meditation: (may I be peaceful, may you be peaceful, may you be well)… May I be consumed, may you be devoured, may you be received
Resources and stuff that we spoke about:
Thank you for listening!
There’s fresh episode each week, if you subscribe then you’ll get each new episode delivered to your phone every Tuesday (that way you’ll never miss an episode):
Lian & Jonathan